What are the benefits of being a member of ARMTA?
Registered Music Teacher
Full members may use the designation RMT (Registered Music Teacher).
Your membership includes a $5 million third party limited liability insurance policy that covers you and your students wherever you are teaching.
Find a Teacher Directory
Our members are included in an online directory on our website which helps prospective students find a qualified music teacher.
Tempo and News Updates
Members receive Tempo once a year which includes articles related to music teaching. Updates with news and current information are regularly sent out by email.
Conferences and Workshops
ARMTA joins with the Alberta Band Association (ABA), the Alberta Choral Association (ACA), and the Alberta Music Education Foundation (AMEF) at Music Conference Alberta to provide an annual conference that offers a wide variety of disciplines in addition to the sessions related to studio teaching that ARMTA sponsors. Music Conference Alberta is usually held each October in Red Deer.
ARMTA also sponsors workshops that travel to smaller centres offering professional development opportunities.
Membership in ARMTA automatically includes membership with the Canadian Federation of Music Teachers’ Associations. Through this membership, you receive:
- The Canadian Music Teacher magazine three times per year.
- A national conference every other year.
- Access to reduced rates on home and auto insurance through The Personal.
- Access to health benefits through Morneau Shepell. For more information, please visit www.cfmta.org.
Once you are a member of ARMTA provincially, you may join your local branch which offers local professional development activities, scholarships, and other opportunities determined by the branch. We currently have branches in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, and Medicine Hat.
Your students have the opportunity to participate in:
- The Community Service Award which offers certificates to students who complete music-related volunteer service in the community.
- The Provincial Piano Competition held every other year . The winner represents Alberta at the National Piano Competition held at the CFMTA conference and tours Alberta as the Young Artist.
- The Student Composer Competition held annually.
- The CFMTA National Essay Competition which invites submissions of essays on any topic related to music teaching, pedagogy or performance practice at high school, university undergraduate, and graduate levels.
ARMTA is proud to support scholarships at the Alberta Music Festival and the Calgary Arts Summer School Association. Through the ARMTA Recognition Fund, donations may be issued a charitable tax receipt. This fund is used to provide awards for our competitions and branch scholarships.
Since ARMTA is a volunteer-driven organization, there are plenty of opportunities for you to serve your fellow teachers and the greater music community and develop your leadership skills.